Your team will design and construct an electric house with separate series, parallel, and complex circuits.
The house will consist of one or two stories. Each house will contain at least the following areas: one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen, a porch, a front
door, and a living room/dining room area.
Each individual room will be illuminated by its own light.
Your team will provide the materials needed for the house frame, glue, additional tools, decorations, furniture and the batteries.
You will receive:
- Ten small light bulbs- Seven switches - Insulated wire - A motor - Buzzer and button - A barrier strip - X-ACTO knife- Soldering iron
DC Circuits Resources
Lessons on Electricity: Excellent site with information about resistors, series, parallel and combination circuits
- The house dimensions are approximately: 24" by 36" horizontally or
vertically. The 'science fair' tri-fold foam board is an excellent material for
building the house.
Each house will be wired with 5 different circuits as follows:
- The living room area must have a chandelier with at least two lights in a
SERIES CIRCUIT with a switch.
- The house must have one PARALLEL CIRCUIT consisting of a switch and at
least two lights.
- The house must have one COMBINATION CIRCUIT consisting of two
switches and at least three lights.
- The front door must have a doorbell (buzzer) and a switch.
- The use of the motor is open-ended, that is, you will incorporate the motor
in the house in a creative manner. Some ideas are: an elevator, a ceiling
fan or a garage door.